Friday, September 20, 2013

Photo Fiction: An Introduction

     I just finished my first month of college this week and so far college has been just fine. My classes are going well, my professors are nice, the homework hasn't been awful, and the campus is great. Getting a coffee from the cafeteria and sitting at one of the tables outside is a favorite pastime of mine in between classes. It makes me wonder why so many students hang out in the game lounge when they could be outside enjoying the nice weather before it gets too cold to enjoy it.
     Even though I haven't been completely overloaded with schoolwork yet, I haven't had much time to devote to blogging or even to my story writing. Today I was browsing around Erin Morgenstern's website because the book club at FCC is considering reading her book, The Night Circus. She does this super cool thing each week where she posts a picture and tells a story behind the picture in ten or so sentences. So I decided to give it a try, hoping that it'll help me to stay up-to-date with my blog and so that I'm still doing some creative writing. I have a board on Pinterest that is devoted to pictures that could be story inspiration but I know that I most likely will not be able to write full-length stories for them all and I figured this would put them to good use.
     So here's my first attempt at Photo Fiction. The pictures I use will mostly be from Pinterest and I'll try to post the correct source so it can get the credit.


Two Months 

 He is two months old today.

Learning about the world little by little, though in his mind the world is only as far as his tiny fingers can reach.

I lower him into the warm water in the sink and gently wipe a washcloth over his arms and legs.

He hardly makes a sound.

I lift his warm body out of the water and swaddle him in a towel.

Hot tears fill my eyes as I nestle his small body close to my heart.

My shoulders shake with quiet sobs.

His mother, my sister, should be the one giving him his first bath.

 But I’m the only mother he’ll ever know.

No comments: